About us...

ACCI flows from the knowledge that Cree culture must be captured, maintained, shared, celebrated, and practiced. Cree Elders have spoken of the need for a central place for the protection of the way, and have developed a vision for Aanischaaukamikw over several decades.

Mar 6, 2015

Adapting Brian Deer - Week #1-2

Week 1-2, March 17-27, 2015

On Tuesday March 17th 2015 we officially started with the call number labeling.  Within the first day, we realised that there would be a lot of additions, clarifications and notes that we would need to add to our guide to make it accessible and easy to use.

The first thing we did was simplify the cutter codes.  The UNBC model had both numbers and letters.  Each letter corresponded to a number depending on if it was a consonants or vowel (see chart below). 


UNBC Deer Cutter Codes After Other Consonants
For the second letter:
a-d
e-h
i-l
m-o
Use number:
3
4
5
6


We wanted to keep it simple, and we decided that we were only going to use letters for cutter codes.  Author codes would be the first 3 letters of the author’s last name with no numbers.  If there was more than one author or editor, it would be the first listed.  If it was a company, museum or government who created the book, we made simple rules to follow and placed these rules in the Classification Plan.

We each took a pile of books to our desks.  These books had already been entered into our MINISIS database so we used the bar code to call up the book in the system.  We created a call number based on the classification system, using our best judgement to make the final call for which subject the book would be placed under.  We then entered in the call number into the database record.  We copied the call number from the database and placed it directly into our individual spreadsheets.


Ashley with the first labels printed out.


After each person had filled a full sheet (we had 56 labels per page), we would print the labels out and put them on the books.  Each call number was covered with a plastic label for protection.

Ashley and our first finished book.


Throughout this process, we had multiple discussions.  “What do you think about this book?” was asked over and over again.  Each time we hesitated, we consulted one another, allowing us to troubleshoot as we worked.  If we were missing a topic, such as imperialism, we would talk about where we could place it in the current list or where it could be incorporated if changes were made.  We added place names and designators to our lists and many sub categories throughout the first two weeks of implementation.


The first cart of books (day 1).

Communication between the three of us working on the project (Annie, Ashley and myself) was of the utmost importance, notably if we thought the book could have multiple designators.

Keep checking the blog for more updates about the Library!

Written by Raegan M. Swanson


No comments:

Post a Comment