Apr 2, 2015
Adapting Brian Deer - Week #7
Week #7 - March 30-April 3, 2015
Last week I wrote about making changes after mistakes. Sometimes the changes need to be made not because there are mistakes, but because you discovered that you needed more precision in the classification system itself.
When we first started cataloguing the books, we didn’t think that there would be many books about Shamanism. There had been about 3 or 4 books that had Shamanism in the title, but we have simply placed them under “V” for Religion. We didn’t think that any more precision was needed at the time. However about a thousand books into creating call numbers Ashley found a stack of books about Shamanism. It then became obvious that we needed to make a separate class designator for these books. Ashley did a search and found that we had done 3 or 4 books already that could be moved to this new subject cutter. We then expanded it to include Medicine Men/Women & Shamanism to include some of the other books that were of the same basic subject.
Ashley went back to the shelves and found the books that needed changing. Then she was able to call them up quickly and make new labels for them. Because everything is very searchable in the database, making changes like this does not have to be a big deal.
Continuing on the idea of mistakes, Ashley noted an inconsistency in part of the Nature & Ecological Knowledge section (N). Under this section the code for “Fires” was listed as “NBFF” (under the larger subject of “Forest Ecology”) which didn’t quite match with the call numbers around it. We had only had one book about forest fires so no one had really noticed. The actual call number should have been “NBPF.F” and it amounted to a spelling mistake when I was transcribing sections from another version of Deer.
While it is a bit embarrassing to see the errors like that come up, I have to remember that there is no spell check for cutter codes.